Neale Goldingay @ Monkey training school in Surat Thani

Living in Thailand   About Me   Your Privacy

During the 31 days:

I will be adding daily examples of costs in Chiang Rai Thailand, pictures and facts, I will also cover the more general aspect's of setting up in Thailand for an extended amount of time from A-Z.
During the course of (31 pages - days) the topics listed below will be covered, with many others.
Browse by topic.

© 2024 all rights reserved

Ask a Question or Contact me.
What is your name?

Your email address:

Choose an option:

Type your message below:

Custom Search

Custom Search

Thai Visa's for the under 50's and border runs.

Border crossing between Mae Sai in Thailand and Tachilek in Myanmar

Day 4: Living in Thailand

Today was my bi weekly trip to Mae Sai - Tachilek in Myanmar to renew my visa exemption. It takes about a half day to do the 140k - 90 miles round trip, including a stop for lunch.

  • 14 day Visa Exemption 500 Baht - $16.80
  • Gas to go to Mae Sai 80 Baht - $2.70
  • Lunch 60 Baht - $2.00
Total for the day: 640 Baht $21.50 - Total Remaining: 5,690 Baht

the river separating Mae Sai and Tachilek Golden Triangle Northern Thailand beef noodles in Tachilek Myanmar

Types of Visa for the under 50's
If you are considering staying in Thailand for more than 30 days it is important to get a Visa in your home country before leaving. This will save you a lot of money and is much easier than obtaining a visa in another country in South East Asia aftewards.

The under 50�s are somewhat limited to the types of visa they can obtain easily, the simplest, and the one that I would suggest for any one arriving in Thailand for the first time, is a Tourist Visa this allows you to stay in Thailand for 60 days and can be extended another 30 days from within Thailand, making a total of 90 days. In your own country you can also obtain multi entry tourist visa valid for 6 months saving a lot of time and expense.

For most of us living in Thailand border runs "physically leaving Thailand then coming straight back" become a part of life a small price to pay for the ability to be able to live here. It is possible to fly to Thailand with out a Visa "you will need a return or ongoing ticket to board the plane though" On arrival you will get a 30 day exemption, you can then extend that 30 days one time. Bi Weekly border runs are not possible any more you will need a visa to stay more than 60 days.

Neale Goldingay   Continue Reading Day 5: Alcohol, cigarettes and night life prices.

checkout my videos on

Join me in google circles

checkout my tweets on twitter

Join the discussion on facebook